Do you want to meet regularly with others in similar circumstances?
Dementia Waikato Carepartner Support Groups are for people who are providing support for a person living with dementia at home. Most participants are spouses, partners, or family members providing day-to-day support. There is no cost (though donations are always welcome).
The groups meet once a month in a local venue and are facilitated by a Dementia Waikato Support Coordinator (a Registered Nurse, Occupational Therapist, or Social Worker) who has specific dementia expertise.
A Carepartner Support Group makes it easier for you to:
- Become better able to look after your own needs too
- Adjust to the changing needs of the person you support
- Get tips and ideas from others’ experiences
- Learn more about living well around dementia
- Discuss long-term planning
- Share what’s going on for you, and ask for expert advice
- Find out about other support services
- Join with people who can also support each other.
Carepartner Support Groups provide a forum where you can listen to others’ experiences, talk about what you are experiencing as you support someone to live well with dementia, and to make use of the expert advice Dementia Waikato’s qualified staff can provide.
Before Joining you need to:
- Become a Dementia Waikato client
- Meet the group Support Coordinator to discuss if the group is right for you
- Agree to confidentiality (what’s said in the group, stays in the group).
A Dementia Waikato Support Coordinator can then invite you to join the local group. There is no obligation to go every month, and the way each group or meeting goes will often depend on the needs of the people who attend. The content and process is shaped by what the group wants.
If the person you support moves to live full-time in a dementia care residence, then the group will provide a couple of months transition support before you retire from it. Many areas have a self-organised social group who continue to get together and offer support to each other. We can often put you in touch with others who are
supporting someone living in residential dementia care.
Carepartner Support Groups are funded by donations and Charitable grants.
Anyone who is not a client needs to make contact with us prior to attending a group.
For further information please ring 0800 433 636 or 07 929 4042.